Teach the world with Cambridge School


Don’t worry about this. Few native speakers know very much about English grammar before they do the course. We will teach you a lot of grammar on the course and will also teach you coping strategies which you will be able to use in the first few months of teaching.

No, you don’t.  Most CELTA trainees have never taught before, although if you do have some experience this is likely to help you, especially in the early stages of the course.

Yes, of course, provided your level of English is high enough (CEFR C2 or high grade at C1). If you have no formal educational qualification at the level indicated, we may still accept you if you can demonstrate in the pre-interview and interview that you would be likely to complete the course successfully.

The CELTA qualifies you to teach English to adults in private language academies or language schools within further education colleges or universities.   You need a PGCE to teach in UK primary or secondary schools.

Any school or training institution can create their own ‘TEFL’ course.  The CELTA is the gold standard English teaching qualification because every CELTA centre has to pass the University of Cambridge’s rigorous certification process and every course is externally evaluated by an independent assessor appointed by the University.  Before choosing a TEFL course you should check which international institution accredits the course. As a rule of thumb, if you there is no external accreditation, or if you’ve never heard of the accrediting institution, you shouldn’t do the course. Sadly, many people complete ‘TEFL’ courses only to find employers do not recognise their qualification.

CELTA is currently accredited in the UK by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) at Level 5 on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) and is a 30-credit qualification.

Level five qualifications recognise specialist learning and involve detailed analysis of a high level of information and knowledge in an area of work or study.

This is the same level as a foundation degree or a higher education diploma – however whilst the levels are the same, they should not be considered equivalent due to their content differences.
The current Ofqual accreditation number is 501/1891/2 and a link to Ofqual Register can be found here.

The number of academic (university) credits awarded for CELTA will be at the discretion of the educational institution that you are applying to. 

The CELTA is awarded to candidates who have completed the course and who have met the assessment criteria for all written and practical assignments. Assessment is continuous and there will be at least one tutorial, so by the end of the course, you will have a good idea whether you have passed the course. The course is externally moderated by a Cambridge English approved assessor, who samples portfolios and teaching practice and who discusses and agrees the grades for all candidates. Click here to view the CELTA Syllabus and Assessment Guidelines.

You will receive an end of course report written by your tutors (usually within five days after the end of the course), which will state your provisional grade. The certificates for successful candidates are issued within four to eight weeks of receipt of results.

Delta FAQs

No. You can can choose how many and which modules they wish to study for and in what order.

Delta is currently accredited in the UK by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) at Level 7 on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) and is a 60-credit qualification.

Level 7 equates to Master’s level in terms of content.

The Ofqual accreditation number is 600/2402/1. Please see the Ofqual website for more details.

The number of academic (university) credits awarded for Delta will be at the discretion of the educational institution that you are applying to.

The Delta (and CELTA) were designed for people wanting to teach English as a foreign language and therefore are not suitable for teaching in state schools in they do not offer Qualified Teacher Status and are not recognised for roles in state schools in the UK. 

CELTA and Delta are widely accepted by private English language schools in the UK for recruitment purposes for teachers of English as a foreign language. Additionally, some further education colleges may accept the qualifications to teach English as a foreign language in the further/adult education sector.

Page 52 of the DELTA Handbook for candidates gives a clear overview of the Module Two assessment and page 81 of the Module Three assessment. Candidates are issued with a statement of results approximately two months after the submission date. Certificates are issued to candidates gaining a passing grade via their centre, approximately six weeks after the issue of statements of results.

Living in Spain FAQs

The climate is quite mild all year round in Barcelona but it can get a bit chilly at night in the winter months.   You can check the weather for the time of year you are planning to do the course on the BBC Weather website.  As far as teaching practice goes, it is acceptable to dress smart casually.

Not to do a CELTA course. In fact if you are a European Union national, you don’t need a visa to work in Spain either. Neither do you need a work permit. However, if you are a non-EU national, you may need a visa or work permit in order to work in Spain.  You should contact the Spanish embassy in your home country for more information.

It’s always a good idea to get flight insurance in case you have to cancel your trip for personal reasons.  As you are unlikely to participate in any higher-risk activity (e.g. adventure sports, driving) you are unlikely to need travel insurance, especially if you are an EU citizen (see ‘What if I get ill?).

All EU citizens are legally entitled to full health care privileges in Spain.  If you’re coming from the UK, it’s a good idea to apply for a European Health Insurance Card before you come.  However, previous experience has shown us that even without the card, teachers have had no difficulty getting health care.  In the event of you experiencing a serious health problem, a member of our staff will assist you in getting the treatment you need and will translate for you if necessary. Trainees from outside the EU should consult their home government websites to find out their health care entitlements in Spain.

Given that you will already have paid for your course, you will need to bring money for the following things: accommodation, food and drink, entertainment. Your homestay accommodation will cost 395€ for the 5-week period. Food and drink will depend on if you eat in or out; if you prepare your own meals you shouldn’t spend more than 10€ per day, if you eat out, you can get lunch or dinner at local bars and restaurants for as little as 7-8€.  In terms of entertainment, a cinema ticket costs around 6€, a beer or glass of wine around 2€ and a return train ticket to Barcelona around 6€.  Past trainees have told us that budgeting 500-700€ (depending on if you’re being frugal or not) plus your accommodation costs, should be enough.

Most visitors to Spain nowadays bring a bank card and withdraw Euros from Spanish cashpoints.  However, if you can get a good deal at a Bureau de Change in your home country, you may get a better exchange rate and save on bank charges.

Working in Spain FAQs

English teaching is not a highly paid profession. Salaries vary from school to school and will depend on the number of contact teaching hours you have. Teachers usually teach between 20 and 25 hours a week. For a 20 hour timetable, teachers might expect to earn around 1200€ per month after tax.  However, the salaries are not difficult to live on as the cost of living is lower than in many other European countries.

Spain has one of the largest TEFL job markets in the world, so teachers usually have little difficulty finding work.  Most schools in Spain recruit during the summer for the academic year starting at the end of September or beginning of October. However, bigger schools often have vacancies at other times of the year, too.

It is possible to find work in some countries, even Spain, without any kind of teaching certification.  However, all reputable schools, which offer good contracts, pay and conditions will require a TEFL qualification.  To be blunt, without a CELTA you are only likely to find work at schools that are unable to attract qualified teachers.